Welcome to our forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Master of Fundamentalism
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    740

    Default

    I went to a southern Baptist church a few years ago. It was a small group of adults in class before the main service. A guy was filling in for the main teacher who was out of town. He asked if anyone in the room could quote Proverbs 3:5 & 6. I waited a while....no one responded. Of course, I remembered it and had the nerve to repeat it outloud. A little later he asked for another verse. The same thing happened.

    I finally quit responding because I realized I was the only one in the room doing so.....HOWEVER, he then asked about poker!!! Oh, my word!! Truth be known, my father taught me how to play poker when I was a kid. (gasp!) He learned when he was in the service - out of boredom, I'm sure. I still know what a royal flush is and a straight. I can play black jack and 5 card stud. I mentioned that to the group and even some of the southern Baptists squirmed in their chairs! My dad and I would always play with match sticks. It was no big deal. He taught me how to play "go fish" years before that.

    I've heard the whole "explanation" for the joker, king and queen, etc., but I don't buy it.

  2. #12
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nancyrobertson View Post
    I've heard the whole "explanation" for the joker, king and queen, etc., but I don't buy it.
    I have also heard this. I wonder if it is historically accurate or just a myth?
    The difference between better and bitter is "I".

    Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

  3. #13
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In the deep south
    Posts
    6,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nancyrobertson View Post
    I went to a southern Baptist church a few years ago. It was a small group of adults in class before the main service. A guy was filling in for the main teacher who was out of town. He asked if anyone in the room could quote Proverbs 3:5 & 6. I waited a while....no one responded. Of course, I remembered it and had the nerve to repeat it outloud. A little later he asked for another verse. The same thing happened.

    I finally quit responding because I realized I was the only one in the room doing so.....HOWEVER, he then asked about poker!!! Oh, my word!! Truth be known, my father taught me how to play poker when I was a kid. (gasp!) He learned when he was in the service - out of boredom, I'm sure. I still know what a royal flush is and a straight. I can play black jack and 5 card stud. I mentioned that to the group and even some of the southern Baptists squirmed in their chairs! My dad and I would always play with match sticks. It was no big deal. He taught me how to play "go fish" years before that.

    I've heard the whole "explanation" for the joker, king and queen, etc., but I don't buy it.
    And I bet you thought you were just just playin & fishin......
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready
    in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

    --George Orwell

    Just my own opinion, for what it's worth........

  4. #14
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In the deep south
    Posts
    6,829

    Default


    I think that playing wit them wicked cards is as bad as not wearing a suit & tie 24/7. So I PLAY "FREE CELL" on my computers.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready
    in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

    --George Orwell

    Just my own opinion, for what it's worth........

  5. #15
    Forum Sage
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    22,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    I have also heard this. I wonder if it is historically accurate or just a myth?
    Most likely fundamentalist mythology.
    Pontifex Maximus Invictus II

    OT: So every action is decreed by God, right? The rape of a 3-year-old...
    Mick: Yes

    Infants that are not elect go to hell to be punished justly for their sin.~Squirrel

    God wants sin to occur. - Bloviating Theologian

    God in his sovereignty can and does use some pedophiles in positions of leadership in gospel preaching churches to advance the gospel- Stephen

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Cathlo-Baptist View Post
    So, you're saying the context negates what the verse clearly and plainly teaches?
    Please.

  6. #16
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,968

    Default

    I do not recall holding playing cards in my hands in my life. They were not in our home while I was growing up.

    I do not think bad of people - even Christians - who play with "poker cards" or "saloon cards" (as we called them growing up watching old westerns). I, too, have read what each of the cards is supposed to symbolize. In doing minimal research, one will find out there are mixed reports on that.

    Now, I was shocked once to see a preacher playing Solitaire on his computer. I laugh about it now, but frankly, it wasn't something I ever thought I'd see, but it doesn't really matter.

    I have played UNO, SKIPBO, and totally agree the use of spinners in place of dice is just a banana or two short of a bunch.
    patriotic




  7. #17
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nancyrobertson View Post
    I
    I've heard the whole "explanation" for the joker, king and queen, etc., but I don't buy it.

    I thought it was the Joker, the Riddler and Catwoman
    "I would be a HACKER, if RAIDER wasn't already one!" - Gonebutnotforgotten

  8. #18
    Fundamental Thinker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Illinois
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    Playing cards is one of those interesting standards. I have friends who do not hold to many of the "IFB standards/convictions", yet they feel that playing cards is wrong. I have other friends who have very high standards/convictions, yet have no problem with playing cards. What are your thoughts and reasoning?
    I have played them and see no problem with it Biblically. Most IFB'S use the "appearance of evil" verse for it...I don't think it's something we should be all that concerned about.

    However, I would ask the question...would any of us play poker at church? Maybe if we wouldn't play it at church, we shouldn't play it at home.........but I guess that would apply to alot of things!

  9. #19
    Master of Fundamentalism
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishinnut View Post
    And I bet you thought you were just just playin & fishin......
    Thanks for posting that! Love that song, and I've never heard it. Now that my dad is deceased, it means even more to me.

  10. #20
    Like It, Love it, Gotta Have It
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    14,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonebutnotforgotten View Post
    A couple of things......

    if you would spend 100 dollars a night on a key west hotel....and that is entertainment (trust me i know it is)....but i want to spend 100 dollars playing blackjack...(i have a limit....i am not going to spend a nickel more) and that is entertainment....AND i have the opportunity to gain back some, none or a lot of my money....where is the difference (especially if i tithe on the increase)

    On the flush, full house thing....just remember the plumbers rule...in their business a flush is better than a full house....but theirs is the only time...
    If I spend $100 per night on a room there, at least I know the room has been cleaned.
    Please help me find a cure for my friends with Lupus. http://tinyurl.com/7cqjefv

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,412,180,090.02943 seconds with 17 queries